Friday, November 25, 2005

A Few Things

A few things to mention:

  • There's only one more day to submit nominations for the 2005 Weblog Awards!
  • Via A&LD, here's a good Boston Globe story on utopianism, anti-utopianism, and anti-anti-utopianism in science fiction.
  • Welcome some newcomers to the blogroll: Maverick Philosopher, Polyglot Conspiracy, Fearless Philosophy for Free Minds, Language Log, Thomas Jefferson's LiveJournal, and LBNL, Scott Adams's new Dilbert Blog. [BTW, Check out this Polyglot post on Scrabble. We're a big Scrabble family -- last night after T-giving, my aunt (not my snow aunt, my other aunt), my cousin, her daughter, and I played some Scrabble, and none of us insist on such minutiae as having to know the meanings of all the words.] (Reading that last sentence again, I realize it gives two possible interpretations as to the total number of Scrabble players. The total number of Scrabblers was four, not three.)
  • I'm going through the DVD of an interesting Robert Altman/Garry Trudeau project from almost 20 years ago, Tanner '88. It stars Altman regular Michael Murphy as a Democratic candidate in the 1988 primaries. This is one of those things that I've been meaning to watch for years, and until about a year ago, it was almost impossible to find on video. A very young, pre-SATC Cynthia Nixon co-stars as Murphy's daughter. Comments to follow as appropriate.

Not pertinent to Tanner, I know. So sue me. At least I had a good time doing the image search.

3 Comments:

Blogger starbender said...

Just surfed in and enjoyed reading your posts!
:)

10:52 PM  
Blogger KaneCitizen said...

Very kind of you to say so. So the deal is that you have several diff. photo blogs that you maintain?

1:15 PM  
Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

I very much enjoyed the article on Scorsese - one of my favorites as well. Sometimes I feel somewhat alone in my viewing and study of films. My wife get somewhat exasporated with me when in even watching "When Harry Met Sally", "Sleepless in Seattle" and "You've Got Mail" I try to tell her that it's Ephron's two different approaches to love and meeting one's "true" love. I must have went on and on about "Mail" being the inverse of "Sleepless" and how although somewhat similar the script is somewhat a backwards way of reaching the same ending. Then she kicked my leg and told me to shut up. *sigh*

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home